Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happiness or True Satisfaction?

It's funny to think about happiness in life and where we as humans try to find it. Whether it be in television, sports, sex, alcohol, money, etc. I often find myself seeking for pleasure with my guitar and my music. When I look at myself, I see a internal struggle between happiness and satisfaction. I find myself "happy" when I play my music for MYSELF. But, the question lies deeper than what it seems. Though I am happy I fail to obtain true satisfaction. People may wonder, "How is this possible?" It's something I wonder myself. How can I find myself happy, yet not satisfied? How can I find myself seeking for joy, when I believe I already have it?
The answer is hidden in His revelation. I have failed many times in life. I have 'missed the mark.' I have searched for true satisfaction in many external things: smoking, drinking, etc. When I used to get drunk, I would be externally happy. I just KNEW that the feeling I was having was true happiness. But, I would would wake up the next morning with a void in my heart, and a lack of satisfaction. Where was my satisfaction? Where was my joy? The elementary answer is clearly this: it was absent. I asked, "How and where could I find true satisfaction?"

I asked myself the same question every morning I woke up. My life was full of happiness, but it was clearly lacking true satisfaction. I HAD to find true satisfaction. It's the old phrase that I began to ponder-- "Find your satisfaction in Christ." My whole life I THOUGHT I had been finding satisfaction in Him, but it clearly wasn't working. I had to change something. So I opened up my Bible. Maybe that would work. Hebrews 13:5 "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, Never will I leave you; Never will I forsake you." This verse spoke to me. So many times we try to find contentment in carnal things, but God will NEVER leave you. He will not pass away as the leaves and grass. He is steadfast in His love. He abides in me. So as the first blog I have ever written, I want to encourage you to find your true satisfaction and contentment in Him. God bless.

Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment